The post holder will work as an integral member of the Nursing and Multidisciplinary team involved in the provision of evidence based care to the patients who attend the hospital. The nurse will provide the highest professional and ethical standards within the model of nursing which must be assessed, planned, implemented and evaluated.
Nurses are expected to practice according to the Code of Professional Conduct as laid down by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland and Professional Clinical Guidelines.
Adhere at all times to the Nursing Board code for nurses.
Adhere to UPMC Aut Even Hospital Guidelines / Policies / Protocols.
- Work within their scope of practice and take measures to continuously develop and maintain the competence necessary for professional practice.
- Maintain a high standard of professional behaviour and be accountable for their practice.
- Provide and maintain a caring, efficient and highly professional nursing service to all patients in his / her care.
- Be aware of ethical policies and procedures which pertain to their area of practice.
- Respect and maintain the privacy, dignity and confidentiality of the patient at all times.
- Assume responsibility for and coordinate the management of the ward area in the absence of the CNMII.
- To undertake the role of mentor/buddy where requested and to facilitate the orientation and development of new staff.
Responsible for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating individual programs of care and ensuring that all patients receive the care identified within the agreed nursing model.
- To receive patients and their relatives in a calm, courteous and reassuring manner and ensure they are kept informed of progress and treatments and participate in providing support and help.
- Assist medical staff with procedures and treatments ensuring that all instructions are executed and those observations are documented and reported.
- Ensure that nursing procedures are carried out in accordance with hospital policies and procedures.
- Ensure that proper control, storage and administration of drugs and medicines are in accordance to Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland regulations and Hospital Policy.
- Anticipate and respond to the needs of patients and their relatives.
- Collaborate with the multidisciplinary team in the co-ordination and delivery of patient care.
- Be an advocate for the individual patient and for his/her family if appropriate and required.
- Ensure that care is carried out in an empathetic and ethical manner and that the dignity of the patient is paramount in accordance with the five rights.
- Collaborate with the patient, their family, the multidisciplinary team to facilitate appropriate discharge planning and continuity of care, beginning at admission stage.
- Ability and competency to use medical equipment and devices safely at ward level.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Be registered in the General Division of the register of Nurses kept by NMBI.
- A minimum of 1 to 2 year’s post registration experience is desirable.
- Basic Life Support Certification
- All employees are required to maintain a level of flexibility to meet the needs of the hospital and maybe required to move between wards (Surgical, Medical and Day Ward) as patient needs fluctuate.
- Candidates interested in applying for a Staff Nurse role must be available to cover all shifts, i.e. Night Duty, Long Days and Weekends as required.
A $24 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane and UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny. Outpatient care is available at the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, the UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at WIT Arena and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.