Basic Grade Radiation Therapist
• Delivers radiation treatment according to the written prescription and treatment plan. Provides safety in patient care through the consistent practice of departmental procedures for treatment administration. Recognises deviation from the prescribed treatment delivery and reports all deviations to the clinical specialist, lead therapist, and physicist.
• Assures the quality of treatment delivery through the complete and accurate documentation of treatment records.
• Assures the quality and consistency of treatment portal placement by taking and reviewing electronic portal images according to departmental procedures. Adjusts treatment fields as indicated.
• Explains treatment procedures to patient and/or family. Refers medical questions to appropriate personnel.
• Under the direction of a radiation oncologist, takes localisation radiographs according to planned treatment delivery. Assists physician or nurse in the administration of contrast agents used during treatment localisation. Performs measurements for use during treatment calculation. Collects and documents data acquired during the simulation procedure. Accurately inputs treatment-related data into the verify-and-record system.
• Assists in the orientation and supervision of students during clinical rotations. Assists the clinical specialist and lead therapist in the evaluation of student performance.
• Assists as needed in all treatment-related procedures. Assists at other UPMC locations as needed.
• Uses effective communication techniques and interpersonal skills to provide explanations for treatment-related procedures. Responds effectively to patient concerns. Observes patients for expected and unexpected reactions to treatments and communicates this to appropriate staff members. Reinforces patient education and side effect management information and indicates non-compliance to medical and nursing staff.
• Performs and documents daily and weekly QA activity for assigned equipment. Documents findings outside the range established by the physics department. Notifies clinical specialist and lead therapist immediately of findings outside the normal range of operations. Participates in programmes to measure and improve the quality of care within the department. Assists and attends departmental QA functions.
• Attends multidisciplinary team meetings for coordination of patient care.
• Completes the daily treatment schedule. Maintains an accurate record of procedures, including billing information and codes.
• Maintains a safe, orderly treatment room.
• Provides on-call coverage for the treatment of patients in emergency situations.
Qualifications and Experience:
• CORU registration.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As UPMC Whitfield Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the centre.
A $24 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane and UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny. Outpatient care is available at the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, the UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at WIT Arena and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.