UPMC Sports Medicine
For decades, UPMC Sports Medicine has been treating athletes and active people from around the globe. People turn to us for our team approach to speed up recovery and restore function.
Located in Waterford at WIT Arena, people in Ireland have access to UPMC Sports Medicine's world-renowned services closer to home.
Adding to the already established UPMC Concussion Network, a team of highly skilled sports medicine experts now offer:
- Medical treatments.
- Surgery to repair sports injuries.
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation.
- Contact a UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic
With locations, UPMC Sports Medicine offers the latest equipment and treatments for athletes.
UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic
Make A Sports Medicine Appointment
Ask your GP or physiotherapist to refer you and then contact the UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic.
You need referrals for most, but not all services.
Sports Injuries We Treat
Our clinic treats and manages:
- Sports and exercise injuries. Find treatment and rehab for strains, sprains, ligament tears, fractures, and more.
- Concussion. This traumatic brain injury needs specialised care and detailed guidance for a safe return to play.
Specialised Sports Medicine Programmes at UPMC
Access UPMC's world-renowned sports medicine experts and the latest programmes to treat injuries and enhance performance.
- Sports medicine consultations and injury clinic. Meet with a specialist at the injury clinic and have same-day diagnostic testing.
- Physiotherapy. Perform exercises to improve function and mobility after injuries or surgery.
- Blood flow restriction rehabilitation. This approach uses a tourniquet system on the arm or leg. A cuff provides specific pressure and reduces blood flow to the limb. We use this to treat fractures, strains, nerve and joint injuries, and severe muscle or bone trauma. It also helps rehabilitation after surgery.
- Shockwave and Winback therapy. These techniques use energy waves to promote the body's natural healing processes and relieve pain.
- Sport-specific performance testing. These science-based tests look for potential risks and advise ways to achieve peak performance.
- Strength and conditioning. Our science-based training programmes help to build stamina and boost performance.
- Pre-season athlete and team screening. This approach prepares athletes for the upcoming season. It screens for injury risk, provides injury prevention tips, and performs baseline testing.
- Heart screening. This screening helps find heart disorders that could lead to sudden cardiac arrest or other dangerous heart problems during a playing season.
- Biodex technology. This tool measures recovery progress for specific sports injuries. It provides objective data to decide the right time to return to play.
- Concussion care. Care includes baseline testing, post-injury testing, and rehabilitation services.
Sports medicine procedures that set us apart
UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at WIT Arena has the only AlterG® Antigravity Treadmill™ in the South East.
This treadmill reduces impact on the lower limbs for pain-free rehab after:
- Joint injuries
Why Choose UPMC for Sports Medicine?
Our sports medicine consultants at UPMC are highly regarded experts. Part of UPMC Sports Medicine, our specialists have advanced training and provide care centred around your specific needs.
Additionally, we are long term partners of the HSE (Health Service Executive) and private insurers, and work diligently to ensure everyone has access to high-quality health care, delivered in a timely fashion.