Basic Grade Radiographer
The Diagnostic Imaging Department provides a service to both inpatients and outpatients. It includes General Radiography, Theatre Imaging, Ultrasound, DEXA, MRI and /CT and CathLab services. The holder of this post will work as a member of the Radiography Department and multi-disciplinary teams, providing a high-quality radiography service to patients in assigned areas in accordance with professional standards of practice.
- To participate in the general radiography service on a daily basis in the assigned area and to be pro-active in undertaking training that will allow for up-skilling and development within the profession.
- To participate in an out of hours service as required.
- To maintain, and be accountable for, high standards in patient care and radiographic techniques.
- To ensure that the principles of radiation protection (justification, optimisation, ALARA and dose limits) are adhered to, and to follow the “local rules”.
- To comply with the directives of statutory instruments,
- To maintain an up to date clinical and technical knowledge and take advice and training where required.
- To maintain a clean and safe work environment and adhere to health and safety guidelines.
- To report any equipment faults to the designated supervisor and document the fault in the appropriate log folder.
- To participate in routine Q.A. procedures and in the UPMC accreditation process as required.
- To be familiar, and comply with, any relevant legislation and operational policies, such as the ionising radiation regulations, fire regulations, infection control and local procedures as set out within the department and hospital.
- To maintain a good working relationship with colleagues and other staff at departmental level and throughout the hospital.
- To undertake any further training courses as required to provide a quality service in the department and for continuous professional development.
- To undertake other duties appropriate to the Post as directed by the consultant radiologist and/or radiology services manager consistent with service needs.
- To undertake a pro-active role in the accreditation process on an on-going basis, as set out by UPMC.
- To develop and maintain a high level of knowledge of the following and always practice within the guidelines and policies written at both unit and Hospital level:
- Clinical risk reporting policy
- Occupational health
- Facilities management
- Patient moving and handling
- Resuscitation / Basic Life Support
- Health and safety
- Departmental financial & budgetary controls
- Patient complaints procedures
- Falls management programme
- Information Resources
- To be an efficient user of the Radiology Information System (RIS) and the PACS system and any other systems required to fulfil the duties on a daily basis.
- To develop skills and be able to use information technology to collate and analyse data for presentation at Departmental meetings as required.
Health and Safety
- Ensure that work is carried out in a safe manner in accordance with the provisions of the Health, Safety and Welfare at Work Act and/or other related legislation.
- All staff are responsible for identifying, assessing, and reporting all risks and for contributing to the management and review of all risks.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Radiography or the Diploma of the College of Radiographers and be validated by the Department of Health.
Knowledge & Experience
- At least 1-2 years’ experience of working in a Radiography Department. (Desirable)
- CT Experience – desirable.
- DEXA Experience – desirable.
- Good working knowledge of the RIS system.
- Experience of on-call and be available for same (Desirable). To work in the General Department on a day-to-day basis and be flexible.
- Ability to manage in a rapidly changing environment and a willingness to undertake such additional duties within the Diagnostic Imaging Department as may be assigned from time to time.
- Strong awareness of Radiation Safety.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety.
- Demonstrate up-to-date knowledge of current theory & practice in Diagnostic Radiography.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Adaptability to changes in healthcare.
- Initiative and innovation.
- Excellent self-management skills.
- Work well within a team environment.
A $24 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane and UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny. Outpatient care is available at the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, the UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at WIT Arena and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.