The RMO is the link between the Consultant and the patient to ensure continuity of high-quality Consultant delivered patient care, whilst maximizing efficiency in accordance with UPMC policies and procedures.
• To act and behave professionally and perform one’s duties in a manner that optimises patient centred care.
• Provide thorough clinical evaluation, careful explanation to patients and family and collaborative decision making when necessary, for the proper delivery of surgical and medical services to the patients in our facility.
• Complete documentation of patients’ assessment, history and physical on admission, and write appropriate follow up comments in case notes in line with the assessment of Patient Policy.
• Will conduct daily re-assessment on in-patients as advised by the consultant and/or nursing staff.
• Diagnose and treat patients under the direction of the relevant consultant.
• Initiate and monitor treatment as clinically appropriate and safe.
• Carry out clinical procedures as requested by Consultants.
• Order and interpret diagnostic tests as clinically required while under the direction of relevant consultant.
• Liaise with other clinical disciplines within the hospital (Anaesthetists, Nursing, Diagnostic Services, Laboratory, Pharmacy) in relation to patient care.
• Respond to all Code Blues and lead the nursing staff in emergency/cardiac arrest procedures.
• To respond to any adverse occurrences e.g., injuries, falls.
• Carry a Dect Phone at all times while on duty and to respond to each call in an efficient manner.
• Discuss care with patients and relatives and to participate in family meetings when required
• Ensure discharge summaries are completed as per Discharge Policy as requested by Consultants and/or nursing staff.
• Provide cover on a rostered basis to always ensure on-site RMO presence when there are patients being treated. Participate in an on-call roster.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Minimum of 1 year experience in an acute setting.
• Current BLS and ACLS certification.
• Must possess competent clinical and interactive skills with adult and paediatric patients.
• Effective team player both as a facilitator and in the course of work.
• Competent to work autonomously when required under consultant supervision/advice.
• Flexible and adaptable approach to work.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to motivate, influence, inspire and encourage different ways of working.
A $24 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane and UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny. Outpatient care is available at the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, the UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at WIT Arena and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.