Performance and Health Coach - UPMC Institute for Health at Connacht GAA Centre of Excellence
2. Concussion testing and awareness
3. Training and Performance testing for school, club, and college partners.
4. Work with Partner NGB’s
5. Expand our Network of Health Partners with Schools and Sports Organisations.
6. Onsite work with Health Partners.
7. In clinic 1:1 and team performance and rehab programming
8. Carry out and promote UPMC Institute for Health programmes.
The role will focus on the delivery of quality, best practice and excellence in the following areas rehabilitation, performance testing, concussion rehabilitation, rehabilitation delivery , performance testing , delivery and management of Institute for Health programs , Education workshops , research and day to day operational duties within the clinic.
There will be a large emphasis on outreach work linking in with sporting bodies and key stake holders in the community and building links and relationships.
• Expand the UPMC Sports Medicine Brand to community, clubs, schools, and colleges.
• Education - demonstrating and coaching to minimise the impact of injury and illness to key health partners and clients.
• Working with key stake holders to Ensure that patients/athletes reach their optimal physical conditioning and maintaining that level throughout the year.
• Developing and maintaining key working relationship with sports science and sports medicine discipline partners to ensure an efficient approach to performance.
• Deliver and assist with Institute for Health programs promotion and instruction.
• Work with physiotherapy team to deliver programs and protocols for UPMC Institute for Health.
• Work with key stakeholders to deliver education, programming and supervision of strength and conditioning.
• Contribute to research is sports performance and rehabilitation.
• Oversee performance testing.
• Deliver programming as required to support injury risk management and deliver exercise-based rehabilitation and return to performance programmes.
• Attend and contribute to strategic planning meetings.
• Fitness test athletes to build accurate physiological profiles.
• Develop tailored fitness training programmes for injured athletes.
• Work with individuals and teams as required.
• Work in collaboration with other sport and exercise professionals such as physiotherapists and sports medicine physicians.
• Develop and run exercises classes for the management of chronic illness.
• Provide benchmark physiological information to enable long-term athletic development.
• Data collection and input.
• Assist with research studies in exercise and health.
• Monitor clinic stock and ordering of consumables.
• Refer to medical practitioner for assessment and treatment.
• Update clinical notes following each appointment.
• To demonstrate effective time management and organisational skills during management of own workload.
• Be available to work evenings and weekends as service needs expand.
• High Performance Testing and reporting (VO2 Max , Lactate Threshold , Force Plate and Performance analysis)
• Team Testing and Training.
• Work with Development squads and senior and youth teams with Health Partners and clients.
• It is expected that the employee will regularly participate in continued professional development (CPD), contribute to preparation and submission of research publications and conference presentations.
• Regular attendance at biweekly journal club and departmental educational meetings is a requirement.
This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organisation.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Degree (or equivalent) in sport science, Physiotherapy, Athletic therapy, or related subject, specialising in physical preparation of athletes.
• UKSCA accreditation or internationally recognised equivalent, or ability to obtain within six months.
• Experience of working within a multidisciplinary team in the delivery of strength and conditioning services to performance teams.
• A track record of success in developing physical qualities of teams and athletes within performance sport.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Strong programming and coaching skills.
DESIRABLE but not essential
• Master in Sport Science, Strength and Conditioning or similar qualification.
• Experience of working with Elite Teams
• Experience of working in female sporting environments.
• Experience of using sport science equipment including heart rate systems and GPS systems.
• Experience of using athlete management systems.
• Experience working with special populations and chronic illnesses.
• BACPR Qualification
• Desirable to have previous publications/evidence of original research
– Experience working in sports performance environments
– Experience working with cohorts with chronic illness
– Experience of designing team and individual programs
General Personal Competencies:
– Set and maintain high standards of work performance and deliver quality consistently and efficiently
– Possessing communication skills that are clear, engaging and responsive
– Have the ability to work in a fast-moving environment
– Establish relationships and influence key stakeholder groups
– Managing change and embedding new ways of working
– Demonstrate a good level of PC literacy
– Analysis of data reports
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As UPMC in Ireland and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.
A $24 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane and UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny. Outpatient care is available at the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, the UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at WIT Arena and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.