Applications Services Manager
Looking to advance your career in Healthcare Information Technology or have you considered applying your technical expertise to a different industry that has endless opportunities to innovate? Healthcare is on the verge of major technological disruption and UPMC is leading the way by leveraging its vast global patient reach, and acclaimed health IT innovations. UPMC’s Global Technology Operations Centre (GTOC) in Europe extends our innovation reach to global markets and is enabling the next generation of healthcare delivery solutions for our patients around the world.
UPMC, a not-for-profit US-based academic and multinational healthcare system, is expanding and localising its industry leading IT services and innovation, to support its growing global presence. Located in the sunny southeast of Ireland and in the heart of Kilkenny’s growing tech cluster, UPMC’s Global Technology Operations Centre (GTOC) is building leading edge infrastructure and services that will enable the next generation of healthcare delivery solutions for our patients globally.
As an extension of UPMC’s US-based operations, the GTOC team supports healthcare facilities in Ireland, Italy, and Asia. We want you to be part of our expanding team, where you can engage with clinical and business leaders, innovate new solutions, and realise first-hand how technology improves patient experience, paving the path for the future of healthcare. Come join our team of accomplished technologists who collaborate seamlessly across borders, develop global healthcare IT skills, and support optimal work / life balance through flexible work arrangements.
Overview of the PostUnder the general direction of UPMC’s Global Technology Operations Centre leadership, the Applications Services Manager oversees the software management lifecycle for all enterprise and critical applications deployed across UPMC’s international facilities. This position is accountable for developing and managing a team of highly qualified analysts who ensure the continued optimisation and alignment of UPMC’s investment in software systems, with the evolving business and clinical requirements across all functional areas. The applications services team will facilitate comprehensive programs and governance to appropriately select, maintain, support, and optimise applications such as Electronic Medical Record (EMR), Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Human Resources (HRIS), ancillary clinical systems (LIS, RIS/PACS, Cardiology, etc), financial, quality, etc. Critical to this role, is a consistent focus on service delivery excellence which requires the ability and desire to thoroughly understand UPMC’s business and clinical models, exceptional communication skills between business, clinical, and technology professionals, and a disciplined approach to service delivery, project management, software management lifecycles, change management governance, vendor management, and performance management.
- Develop and maintain tools and processes to effectively manage the full lifecycle of UPMC’s inventory of software applications across facilities in Europe and future expansion.
- Manage application pipeline of requests, prioritising with relevant stakeholders and application workgroups.
- Manage the full lifecycle of application integrations.
- Recruit and develop a team of healthcare application experts, organised to deliver exceptional customer service and support, highly reliable and agile applications, and innovative solutions that enable the business to grow and succeed. The team will include direct and matrixed reports from local and international locations.
- Implement robust programs aimed at cultivating subject matter experts (SME’s) through deep engagement with business and clinical resources, enabling a high level of competency in critical applications across both IT and business/clinical teams.
- Develop, implement, and maintain rigid upgrade/patching processes to include comprehensive testing (functional, unit, end-user), validation, and go-live decision making.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a comprehensive training program for end-users, ensuring optimal use of all applications and their future improvements.
- In coordination with business process owners and technical teams, develop, implement, and manage Disaster Recovery (DR) solutions in alignment with criticality and the respective Business Continuity Plans (BCP’s).
- Develops and maintains a disciplined documentation strategy to ensure complete and updated set of functional and technical requirements, evaluation criteria, process flows, operational routines, training materials, etc. and are made available across the organisation as appropriate.
- Manages time tracking and resource allocations across all projects and support activities. Produces reports to manage priorities and cost allocations across business units.
- Leads team in a collaborative manner within IT, and across all business units served.
- Performs as a significant role in vendor management by maintaining oversight and escalations of all issues and product enhancements. Monitors vendor’s performance in accordance with purchasing, services, and support contracts.
- In collaboration with technical team, facilitates direct end-user support escalations, incident response actions, and root cause analysis delivery upon resolution.
- Manages flexible work arrangements with staff in alignment with business needs to include supporting evening and weekend application issues, upgrades, maintenance, and incident response.
- Develops formal proposals for application investments to include budget, ROI, resource requirements, business case, success metrics, and timelines.
- Develops and maintains budgets for the applications services functional area and all critical software systems in use across UPMC international facilities.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of direct reports, including performance reviews, time & attendance, and any other relevant areas of the employment cycle.
- Performs additional duties and management responsibilities as assigned.
- Facilitates successful completion of projects, tasks, and initiatives by embracing a team-first approach. Works in collaboration with multiple teams and offers feedback, where appropriate, to complete individual and group efforts.
- Responsible for ensuring that service is provided to the IT client community, patients, families, and visitors, while protecting the integrity and confidentiality of all data and information through physical and electronic measures.
- Proficiently applies IT methods, professional knowledge, and UPMC standards and practices.
- Responsible for demonstrating appropriate, clear, concise, and effective written and oral communications in all interactions to build relationships and accomplish day to day work and projects.
- Responsible for continuous self-study, training's, partnering with management, and/or seeking out opportunities to broaden scope to stay up to date with industry and organisational trends. Seeks feedback from management and team for development and effectively incorporates feedback into work and behaviours.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Seven years of total related experience, including three years in a senior or lead role, OR equivalent combination of education/experience.Degree or certification in information technology, software life cycle management, or significant training in the support and maintenance of enterprise level applications.
- 5 years’ experience implementing, supporting, and/or training on one or more of the following enterprise level applications: Electronic Medical Records (TrakCare, Cerner, EpicCare, Meditech), Enterprise Resource Planning (SAP, Oracle), Human Resource Management (MegaHR, Cornerstone, Peoplesoft, Workday), Patient Administration (iSoft, TrakCare, EpicCare, Meditech).
- Experience directly managing 3 or more employees.
A $24 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane and UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny. Outpatient care is available at the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, the UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at WIT Arena and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.