Intermediate Systems Engineer UNIX
UPMC, a not-for-profit US-based academic and multinational healthcare system, is expanding and localizing its industry leading IT services and innovation, to support its growing global presence. Located in the sunny southeast of Ireland and in the heart of Kilkenny’s growing tech cluster, UPMC’s Global Technology Operations Centre (GTOC) is building leading edge infrastructure and services that will enable the next generation of healthcare delivery solutions for our patients globally.
As an extension of UPMC’s US-based operations, the GTOC team supports healthcare facilities in Ireland, Italy, and Asia. We want you to be part of our expanding team, where you can engage with clinical and business leaders, innovate new solutions, and realise first-hand how technology improves patient experience, paving the path for the future of healthcare. Come join our team of accomplished technologists who collaborate seamlessly across borders, develop global healthcare IT skills, and support optimal work / life balance through flexible work arrangements.
Overview of the Post
Under the direction of management and more senior members of the team, the Systems Engineer Intermediate maintains systems, participate in projects, provides end user support, contributes to team documentation, and seeks out process improvement. Responsible for participating in testing proofs of concept or evaluating new technologies.
• Troubleshooting - Independently resolve moderately complex end-user support and system issues with the assistance of more senior level team members. Mentor associate-level staff with issue resolution.
• Quality - Follow established standards. Test changes and validate post change.
• Design - Follow established design patterns and has awareness of user experience standards. Responsible for individual components of design.
• Integration - Responsible for components of integration within a module.
• Documentation - Create basic technical documentation. Responsible for maintaining and validating current documentation.
• Project Management - Has ownership in success of projects. Responsible for estimating and delivering on individual task within project.
• Communication - Responsible for demonstrating appropriate, clear, concise, and effective written and oral communications in all interactions to build relationships and accomplish day to day work and projects.
• Core Technology Concepts - Responsible for understanding of moderately complex infrastructure technologies and their use. Demonstrates initiative to learn and expand upon knowledge. Demonstrates initiative to learn about current and future technologies. The implementation and support for information security directives as mandated by UPMC policy and EU GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation).
• Maintenance/Upgrades - Follow documented procedures for maintenance and upgrades. Assist senior team members with upgrade and maintenance plans. Responsible for assisting with Disaster Recovery Plan.
• Interactions with Others - Successfully completes projects, tasks, and initiatives by embracing a team-first approach. Works in collaboration with team and offers feedback, where appropriate, to complete individual and group efforts. Shows the ability to adjust and be flexible to change by adapting approach when necessary. Mentors less experienced staff.
• Self-Development - Responsible for continuous self-study, trainings, partnering with more senior members of team, and/or seeking out opportunities to broaden scope to stay up to date with industry and organizational trends. Seeks feedback from senior team members for development and effectively incorporates feedback into work and behaviours.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Qualifications and Experience:
Qualifications / Education/Experience:
• Supporting technologies such as VMware vSphere, vSAN, Windows Server, RHEL, Active Director, DNS, GPO, and other infrastructure systems.
• Typically has 2+ years of related work experience.
• Knowledge of scripting, vSAN, Backups, SAN storage solutions
• Experience with public cloud solutions, AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.
• Experience in developing on cross-functional systems.
• Highly driven and self-motivated to exceed expectations.
• Ability to work independently and in a team-based environment.
• Proficient in both oral and written communication.
• Off hours support may be required. The frequency varies based upon business needs
• Full clean drivers license
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As UPMC Global Technology Operations Centre and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review considering the changing needs of the Centre.
A $24 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane and UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny. Outpatient care is available at the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, the UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at WIT Arena and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.