Do you want to change the face of healthcare? UPMC’s Global Technology Operations Centre (GTOC) is enabling the next generation of healthcare delivery solutions for our patients around the world.
UPMC, a not-for-profit US academic medical centre, is at the cutting edge of delivery for industry leading IT services that support its mission of delivering life changing medicine and want you to be part of our team. Here you will engage with clinical and business leaders, innovate new solutions, and realise first-hand how your input directly affects our patients, paving the path for the future of healthcare.
Located in the heart of Kilkenny’s growing tech cluster, the GTOC team develops solutions for healthcare facilities in Ireland, Italy, and Asia and innovates for tomorrow for a team of over 2,000 people, across its reach of hospitals, cancer centres, sports medicine and outpatient centres.
Come be a life changer!
Overview of the Post
We are looking for an experienced SQL Server DBA to join our team! As a SQL Server DBA you will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, maintenance, and performance of critical SQL Server RDBMS systems. This role will be part of the GTOC team working closely with the Corporate DBA team thus aligning with Corporate Standards and Policies.
• Strong understanding of database design and query strategy to provide suggestions for optimal performance.
• Install, configure, and provide day to day support after implementation, including off hours as needed.
• Quickly learns the new features of RDBMS and becomes proficient at implementing those options or features as they become available with minimal direction.
• Understands security, encryption, and vulnerability mitigation.
• Involved with review and analysis of 3rd party software solutions with database solution as needed.
• Project Management - Complete DBA related tasks as they are associated with the application team and initiatives of the project.
• Maintenance - Works closely with application team to maintain systems with routine maintenance and patching as outlined by the RDBMS vendor through major and minor upgrades in a timely fashion as they are released.
• Infrastructure - strong understanding of the operating system, networking, and other underlying components of the infrastructure as it relates to the RDBMS supported.
• Troubleshooting - Respond to tickets and other notifications of issues. Resolves the more complex issues that arise, determining the cause of the database problem, determine a solution and implement the appropriate actions to correct.
• Scripting - strong understanding of OS based scripting, writes, enhances & debugs scripts that automate and orchestrate DBA related tasks.
• Recovery - strong understanding of advanced business continuity and disaster recovery options for supported RDBMS. Clearly communicates available options to application teams with minimal supervision.
• Customer Service - Maintains professional relationship with application owner/teams, provide support as needed. Facilitate a productive dialogue relative to the success of the services provided.
• Auditing - Respond to requests from Internal Audit, external auditors as directed and SOX requirements.
• Self-Development - Continual self-learning to master most all administrative tasks.
• Strong understanding of the architecture of the RDBMS platform and how various components can impact the system from availability to performance.
• Performance Tuning - Performs performance/Health Checks on systems as needed or as requested by Management.
• Strong understanding of database design and query strategy to advise customers on optimal database performance.
• Mentoring - Mentors junior members of the team.
• Expertise – Go To resource or resident expert on at least one component of the database platform or infrastructure the RDBMS is hosted on.
• Provide 24x7 support for critical production systems
• Take part in DBA team on-call rotation. Manage and prioritize incidents
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline
• 3 years of experience as a SQL Server DBA or similar role ranging from experience with editions 2008 to 2019.
o Azure SQL
o Reporting Services and Power BI Report Server
o SQL Always On Availability Groups
o Preferred: Managing customer-managed encryption keys.
• 1 year of experience with SAP HANA preferred
• Highly driven and self-motivated to exceed expectations.
• Ability to work independently and in a team-based environment.
• Capable of working under pressure
• Proficient in both oral and written communication.
A Full Clean Driver’s Licence is an essential requirement.
A $24 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane and UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny. Outpatient care is available at the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, the UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at WIT Arena and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.