• Act as a positive role model and provide support advice to staff. Demonstrate expert practice where appropriate. Lead by example through visible leadership to motivate and empower others.
• The post holder will have continuing responsibility for the quality of care within the CSSD Department and the achievement of safe, professional and competent practice.
• Ensure correct and safe decontamination and sterilisation of all medical devices in a timely fashion
• Transport of sterile items and storage of sterile items.
• Be familiar with Stock control.
• Complete traceability on tracker system
• Disinfection, inspection, packaging, and sterilisation of medical devices.
• Adhering to all department and hospital policies and procedures.
• Be familiar with Training and Education programmes.
• Attend meetings regarding CSSD.
• To work with others as part of a team.
• All CSSD staff must understand the importance of confidentiality.
• To ensure that the available Hospital resources are used in the most efficient and effective manner.
• To contribute to Hospital wide activities that promote and support the development of the service provided.
• To ensure that relationships and own behaviour is managed in line with Hospital ethos, policies and SOP’s.
• Identify any areas of continuous concern relating to cssd practice reporting to the department manager and Director of Nursing and Assistant Directors of Nursing as soon as reasonably possible, detailing the action that has been initiated.
• To undertake a pro-active role in the accreditation process and ensure that quality improvement is embedded into nursing practice and patient care.
Qualifications and Experience:
Professional Accountability and Development:
• Act as a positive role model with regards to the Hospital ethos and UPMC values and provide a professional service
• To complete and comply with all clerical, paperwork and administration procedures to ensure that the reporting systems and monitoring responsibilities are maintained throughout.
• To use resources both effectively and efficiently.
• Maintain effective communication and negotiate with colleagues of other speciality services and departments to ensure co-operation with achieving objectives and to promote good working relationships.
• To undertake as required any immediate responses to emergencies such as, fire alarms etc.
• To inform the Department Manager of any health and safety issues as required.
• To participate and undertake a pro-active role in the hospital quality processes such as accreditation.
• To approach interpersonal relationships in a manner that promotes a healthy working environment and avoids conflict.
• Undertake any other reasonable duty as directed to ensure the smooth running of the department.
• To participate and undertake a pro-active role in achieving cost-saving measures.
• Develop and maintain a high level of knowledge of the following and always practice within the guidelines and policies written at both unit and Hospital level:
Moving and Handling
Health and Safety
Departmental Financial & Budgetary Controls
Quality & Audit:
• Participate in local audits in preparation for annual accreditation.
• Work closely with the Quality and Patient Safety team, ensuring the department is meeting accreditation standards at all times.
Health and Safety:
• To uphold UPMC Whitfield Hospital’s policy requirements in relation to Fire, Infection Control, Radiation Safety and Health and Safety at work regulations and to attend updates.
• Identify potential risks for all staff, patients and visitors and adhere to relevant incident reporting procedures.
• To observe a general duty of care for the health, safety and well-being of self, work colleagues, visitors and patients within the hospital, in addition to any specific risk management associated with this post.
Eligible Criteria: The Post holder must hold the following to fulfil the requirements of this post:
- At least 1 years’ experience in a CSSD, Pharmaceutical or clean room industry.
- Knowledge of Theatre Instruments is desirable.
- Previous experience in patient care – desirable.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the UPMC Whitfield Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Centre.
A $24 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane and UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny. Outpatient care is available at the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, the UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at WIT Arena and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.