Preventive Health: Health Screening Services
UPMC provides holistic care to help keep you and your loved ones healthy and well. We provide complete care under one roof, so you don't have to go from clinic to clinic to receive the treatment you need.
Your Health Screening Appointment
We provide comprehensive health screening services at UPMC Kildare Hospital, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, and the UPMC Outreach Centre. To speak with a representative, please use the following contact details:
- UPMC Whitfield Hospital on 051 359762 or email email@example.com.
- UPMC Kildare Hospital on 045 982300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UPMC Outreach Centre, Carlow on 059 914 0236.
At UPMC, we offer advice and treatments designed to help keep you well. We focus on helping you modify any existing risk factors to prevent disease or injury. If you already have a medical condition, we will help you address it through monitoring and when necessary, treatment.
General Health Screening
At UPMC, we provide comprehensive risk assessment, tailored specifically for you. We work with you to develop an individualised plan and refer you to one of our in-house specialists if necessary.
We measure your blood pressure, body mass index (BMI), weight, and waist circumference to guide you towards keeping well. We also perform tests that may uncover any undiagnosed conditions, such as diabetes or thyroid problems.
It is recommended that men over 40 should have regular tests to check their prostate. Our consultants help you with this important aspect of health screening, including prostate-specific antigen tests.
We'll also measure and advise you on your cholesterol level, as well as renal, liver, and bone health profiles. We assess your lungs and heart and will likely order blood tests to make sure you have the full picture of your health status.
Cardiology Screening and Prevention
Our Cardiac Disease Management Clinic at UPMC Whitfield Hospital will help you maintain heart health. We also take care of any cardiac procedures you need in a seamless service, under one roof. Our screening and treatment procedures include:
- 24-hour Holter monitoring: This records your heart's rate and rhythm over a 24-hour period.
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring: This checks your blood pressure over 24 hours and is more accurate than regular tests.
- Cardiac event monitoring: This controls the electrical activity of your heart when you need longer-term monitoring.
- Echocardiogram (ECG):This measures how efficiently blood is being pumped through your heart's valves.
- Exercise stress testing: This measures how well your heart copes when it is working hard.
- Cardioversion: This treatment helps your heart return to a normal rhythm if it is not beating regularly. Cardioversion can prevent stroke, heart attack, fainting, and sudden cardiac death.
- ILR implantation: An implantable loop recorder (ILR) is a device we use to diagnose heart rhythm disorders.
- TOE procedure: Our specialists use a flexible device to examine your heart chambers and valves.
- Pacemaker insertion: There have been huge advances in pacemaker technology in recent years. We fit pacemakers to regulate electrical problems with your heart.
Annual Physical Exams
You can manage your personal health with our thorough screening procedures. Some people need physical exams each year to ensure they are in good shape, but many people just want the peace of mind an expert consultant can bring.
Our doctors and nurses will go through a simple questionnaire with you as part of the assessment. We use the most accurate and modern techniques to check your health. This includes your heart, lungs, eyes, ears, and mouth, as well as other vital functions.
We understand that a company's best asset is its people. UPMC provides a full range of screening and medical treatments under one roof. These include physical examinations, blood tests, and full health screenings.
Through our corporate health programme, we provide nutritional advice, stress management, and lifestyle guidance.
Concussion doesn't only happen to athletes, and its effects should not be underestimated.
We take concussions seriously and our dedicated concussion care team, as part of the UPMC Concussion Network, will help you heal as fast as possible and get on with life.
Concussion Baseline Testing
We assess your balance and brain function following a concussion. We use a system based on scientific evidence to test the severity of a concussion.
Concussions are treatable injuries. We'll assess your visual and verbal problem-solving, reaction time, and impulse control.
We will also evaluate your headache, dizziness, and 'brain fog' using our state-of-the-art ImPACT® Concussion Testing system. ImPACT® stands for 'Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing.' It uses cutting-edge software-based neurocognitive assessment developed by our concussion specialists. Concussion experts, who now lead the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Programme in the U.S., developed this software that helps diagnose concussions.
Sleep Disorder Testing and Treatment
Sleep disorders not only impact your quality of life but they can also cause significant distress for the sufferer. Our specialists have vast experience in treating sleep disorders, including sleep studies to assess the nature and severity of the problem.
If left untreated, some sleep disorders can result in serious health problems, including damage to the heart. Sleep disorders can also affect your everyday abilities, such as driving, and affect your mood.
There are several sleep disorders, but the most common include:
- Restless legs syndrome.
- Sleep apnoea (abnormal patterns in breathing while you are asleep).
- Narcolepsy (extreme daytime tiredness or sudden falling asleep during the day).
An irregular sleep cycle may also be a sign of a sleep disorder. If you think you may have a sleep disorder, talk to us and we will guide you toward the help you need.
Why Choose UPMC for Health Screening?
If you want expert care under one roof, consider UPMC. Our consultants have years of experience in screening and treatment. Our nurses are also specialists in their field and provide holistic care with compassion and understanding.
Equipment at UPMC is cutting-edge and we use technology that will assess your condition and provide our consultants with the information they need. We are with you on every step of the treatment pathway, from assessment to the completion of your time with us.
Early detection and treatment are vital in all areas of medical care. Get in touch with us now to arrange an appointment and take the first step on your road to recovery and wellbeing.
Additionally, we are long term partners of the HSE (Health Service Executive) and private insurers and work diligently to ensure everyone has access to high-quality healthcare, delivered in a timely fashion.