Orthopaedic Care: Shoulder and Upper Limb Services
If you have an injury or issues with your upper arm or shoulder, consider visiting UPMC Orthopaedic Care. We treat torn rotator cuffs, arthritis, and other orthopaedic conditions.
Our orthopaedic consultants use the latest techniques to diagnose shoulder and upper limb problems and choose minimally invasive technology for treatment whenever possible.
How to Make an Appointment
Ask your GP for a referral and visit UPMC Orthopaedic Care to learn more about our shoulder and upper limb services.
Our locations include UPMC Aut Even Hospital, UPMC Kildare Hospital, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, and the UPMC Sports Surgery Clinic.
Shoulder and Upper Limb Services and Treatments
Our consultants treat common shoulder and upper limb conditions, as well as more complex diagnoses. We use the latest technology to diagnose and treat shoulder and arm ailments. Our hospitals offer:
- Orthopaedic consultations
- Diagnostic imaging
The UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at the SETU Arena (formerly WIT Arena) in Waterford offers sports medicine consultations and physiotherapy.
Imaging and testing
- Pre-assessment consultations.
- Diagnostic imaging (x-ray, CT, MRI).
- Orthopaedic consultations.
- Rapid recovery programme (four to five days).
- Full-time, 24-hour house doctor.
- Specialist pain management techniques.
- Oral anti-coagulant therapy after surgery.
Shoulder and upper limb injury treatments
At UPMC Orthopaedic Care, we use minimally-invasive and non-surgical approaches whenever possible. We treat many common shoulder and upper limb conditions.
Sometimes you may need surgery. We offer laminar flow theatres, which provide the optimum setting for orthopaedic surgery and an inpatient ward which allows for specialised nursing to aid recovery.
Treatment options include:
- Arthroplasty surgery: to replace or reconstruct a joint in the elbow, or shoulder.
- Arthroscopic surgery: minimally invasive surgery to repair a joint.
- Carpal tunnel release: surgical treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Cubital tunnel release: surgical treatment for cubital tunnel syndrome.
- Dupuytren Surgery: Surgery to make an incision in your hand and remove the thickened tissue.
- Joint replacement: shoulder joint replacement as well as radial head arthroplasty (elbow replacement).
- Joint injections: for various types of joint pain.
- Ligament reconstruction surgery: includes elbow surgery.
- Revision surgeries: surgery to correct problem with initial procedure.
- Rotator cuff repair: arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff.
- Tendon repair: surgery to heal a torn tendon.
- Treatment of failed previous surgeries: corrections of prior hand, elbow, or shoulder surgeries.
Shoulder and Upper Limb Conditions We Treat
We treat a variety of shoulder and upper limb conditions. Some conditions are acute and some are chronic. In either case, our goal is to help relieve your pain and get you back to living the fullest life possible.
Some of our priority conditions are:
- Impingement of the shoulder
- Torn rotator cuffs
- Arthritis of the shoulder
Other shoulder and upper limb problems we treat
We treat many common injuries and ailments of the shoulder and upper arm. These include:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Frozen shoulder
- Ganglion cysts
- Muscle or ligament tears
- Shoulder instability
- Sprains and strains
- Sports-related injuries
- Tendon and nerve injuries
Why Choose UPMC for Orthopaedic Care?
We are part of an internationally-renowned network of orthopaedic specialists, UPMC Orthopaedic Care. UPMC provides exceptional care and academic research. Our consultants use the latest techniques and technology to diagnose and treat a wide range of injuries and conditions.
The team at UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, and UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny welcomes you. They are ready to help you keep moving and get back to doing the things you love.
Additionally, we are long term partners of the HSE (Health Service Executive) and private insurers. We work diligently to ensure everyone has access to high-quality healthcare, delivered in a timely fashion.