Orthopaedic Care: Foot and Ankle Services
If you have a foot or ankle condition, UPMC Orthopaedic Care may be able to help. We treat fractures, torn tendons, diabetic foot disease, and care for people with many other foot, ankle, and heel ailments.
Our consultants use the latest techniques to diagnose foot and ankle problems. We choose minimally invasive technology for treatment whenever appropriate. Our goal is to help you get back to living the fullest life possible.
How to Make an Appointment
Ask your GP for a referral and contact an orthopaedic specialist at a UPMC location near you.
Locations include UPMC Aut Even Hospital, UPMC Kildare Hospital, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, and the UPMC Sports Surgery Clinic. Our locations are close to major road networks and public transport routes. Learn more about travelling to a UPMC facility near you.
Foot and Ankle Services and Treatments
Our consultants treat a wide range of foot and ankle problems. We use the latest technology. Our hospitals offer:
- Orthopaedic consultations
- Diagnostic imaging
The UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at the SETU Arena (formerly WIT Arena) in Waterford offers sports medicine consultations and physiotherapy.
Diagnostic imaging and other services
To give you the most accurate diagnosis, we offer:
- CT scans
- DXA scans
- MRI scans
- Bone scans
- Orthopaedic consultations
Should you need joint replacement, we provide:
- Pre-assessment service with in-house consultant cardiologist and senior physiotherapist.
- Rapid recovery programme.
- Specialist pain management techniques.
- Oral anti-coagulant therapy delivered post-operatively.
- Laminar flow operating theatres.
- Dedicated inpatient ward that allows for specialised nursing to aid recovery.
- Physiotherapy to aid recovery.
Foot, ankle, and heel treatments
Our goal is to help get you up and around and enjoying the most active lifestyle possible. We offer a broad span of treatment options for foot and ankle diagnoses, including:
- Arthroscopy — surgical procedure that allows doctors to look at, diagnose, and treat problems inside a joint.
- Arthritis care — lifestyle changes, supportive footwear, medical treatments, or surgery.
- Biomechanics — physiotherapy to restore function and motion to the foot.
- Bunion removal — surgery to correct deformed area of foot.
- Cartilage repair — surgical procedure to restore torn connective tissue.
- Hammertoe repair and correction — surgical and non-surgical treatments for deformed toes.
- Injections to reduce pain and swelling — non-surgical cortisone injection.
- Joint arthroplasty — joint replacement surgery.
- Ligament reconstructions — surgery to repair connective tissue.
- Minimally invasive surgery — performed through tiny incisions instead of large ones.
- Rehabilitation — physiotherapy to strengthen feet and ankles.
- Torn tendon and ligament repair — surgery for serious sprains.
- Resurfacing procedures — helps improve the function of joints in foot without joint replacement.
Foot and Ankle Conditions We Treat
At UPMC Orthopaedic care, our Foot and Ankle specialists use minimally invasive and non-surgical approaches whenever possible. We treat the following conditions among others:
- Hallux valgus (bunion) correction.
- Achilles tendinitis or tears.
- Chronic or acute foot and ankle pain.
- Ankle conditions that need joint replacement.
- Osteoarthritis and inflammatory joint arthritis in the foot or ankle.
- Deformities of the foot and ankle (acquired).
Common foot, ankle, and heel conditions we treat include:
- Achilles tendonitis — inflammation of the tendon that connects your calf muscles to your heel bone.
- Arthritis — both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Bunion — extra bone and fluid that grow at the base of the big toe.
- Diabetic foot disease — nerve damage and numbness that results from diabetes.
- Flat feet — painful condition that affects the arch of the foot.
- Hammer toes — deformity of the toes.
- Tendon tears — tears in the body's tendons, commonly in the feet and ankles.
Other foot and ankle problems we treat
Other conditions we treat include:
- Claw toes
- Heel pain
- Heel spurs
- Joint pain
- Osteochondritis dissecans of the talus
- Retrocalcaneal bursitis
- Sports injuries
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome
- Toenail problems
Why Choose UPMC?
We are part of UPMC Orthopaedic Care, and an internationally-renowned network of orthopaedic specialists. UPMC provides exceptional patient care and academic research. Our consultants use the latest techniques to diagnose and treat a wide range of foot and ankle injuries and conditions.
Additionally, we are long term partners of the HSE (Health Service Executive) and private insurers. We work diligently to ensure everyone has access to high-quality health care, delivered in a timely fashion.