Hearing problems can have a devastating effect on quality of life, self-confidence, and a patient's ability to live life to the fullest. At UPMC we diagnose, treat, and manage hearing loss at UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Waterford and UPMC Aut Even Hospital, Kilkenny.
UPMC's audiologists diagnose and treat different types of hearing loss, including how severe the loss is. This helps us plan a care pathway tailored to each patient.
Our experts work with our consultants, including ear, nose, and throat specialists and also draw on their experience to address the individual needs of each patient.
Contact our Audiology Department
We provide our audiology services at:
- UPMC Aut Even Hospital: Get in touch with our audiology specialists at UPMC Aut Even Hospital on 056 7775172 or by email at email@example.com.
- UPMC Whitfield Hospital: Contact our Audiology Department at UPMC Whitfield Hospital on 051 319802 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A GP referral letter is not required, but a referral helps provide a better medical history.
Audiology Services at UPMC
Our Audiology Departments provide a range of tests and treatments for adults and children. Audiology conditions can have a profound impact on the life of a child or adult. Hearing loss in a child may be mistaken for poor school performance or other issues.
For an adult, hearing loss could lead to a reduction in productivity and social challenges.
Early assessment and treatment are important. From the first consultation, we will treat you with compassion and understanding.
UPMC's audiology clinics conduct tests designed for both children and adults. Our audiologists will determine which test is most suitable.
Our audiology assessments for adults include:
- Otoscopy: This is a clinical assessment of the structures of the ear. This tests any damage to the middle ear, external auditory canal, or tympanic membrane.
- Air conduction testing: Here, we send a tone through the air from the outer ear, to the cochlea in the inner ear.
- Middle ear analysis/tympanometry: This measures any movement of the eardrum. This involves placing a small, earphone-like probe into each ear. This allows us to examine any movement using a tympanogram.
- Speech discrimination tests: These help us to predict whether a hearing aid can help.
- Recruitment tests: Here, we assess a person's sensitivity to sound and frequency range.
- Tone decay tests: These tests establish cochlear hearing loss.
Care for children
Our assessments and treatments for children include:
- Video Otoscopy: This is a clinical assessment of the structures of the outer ear and tympanic membrane.
- Oto-acoustic emission tests: A test to establish whether the function of the outer hair cells of the cochlea are normal.
- VRA (visual reinforcement audiology): This is for infants and toddlers. We use this test in children aged six months to two-and-a-half years.
- Play audiometry: This is a fun test for children that allows us to check a child's hearing through games and toys.
- Distraction tests: This evaluates a young child's ability to hear a sound and locate it.
- Conditioning tests: We use toys to focus the child's attention on a listening task.
- Rehabilitation: We offer full hearing rehabilitation services in our department and a range of hearing aids, with a trial period of these devices to ensure the best possible outcomes.
Specialised Audiology Treatments at UPMC
- Our Audiology Department provides tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT). This helps to retrain the way the brain responds to the buzzing or ringing sounds of tinnitus. Our specialists help people manage their tinnitus and so they may have a better quality of life.
- We help people suffering from vertigo. Our audiology specialists work closely with consultants and specialised physiotherapists.
- Our audiology teams take a holistic approach to treating hearing loss. We know the impact of hearing loss, such as consequences to mental health and wellbeing.
Why Choose UPMC?
We offer high quality, comprehensive treatment close to home.
There are many other reasons to choose Audiology Services at UPMC, such as the caring, professional service that our team of consultants and nursing staff provides. Our audiologists use state-of-the-art technology and innovative treatments. Additionally, we are long term partners of the HSE (Health Service Executive) and private insurers and work diligently to ensure everyone has access to high-quality healthcare, delivered in a timely fashion.