Gastroenterology and Digestive Services
Gastroenterology focuses on the care and health of your digestive system.
This includes your entire GI (gastrointestinal) tract, gallbladder, and liver.
At UPMC, our experts use innovative treatments and minimally invasive techniques to provide you with a range of gastrointestinal services.
Make an Appointment for GI Care
Contact an expert at a UPMC location near you and ask your GP for a referral.
GI and Digestive Conditions We Treat
Some of the conditions we treat at UPMC include:
- Coeliac disease.
- Colorectal cancer and other cancers of the digestive system.
- IBD (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis).
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Liver, gallbladder, and pancreas disorders (such as cirrhosis, hepatitis, gallstones, and pancreatitis).
- General stomach and GI disorders.
- Anaemia related to GI bleeding.
- Barrett's oesophagus and GERD.
- Chronic diarrhoea, faecal incontinence, chronic constipation.
- Swallowing problems.
- Haemorrhoids and anal fissures.
- Polyps and colorectal cancer surveillance and screening.
- Stomach ulcers.
Specialised Gastric Treatments at UPMC in Ireland
Our consultants work in close contact with your referring doctor and healthcare team.
We manage all aspects of your digestive care from testing to treatment.
Based on your needs, we may use non-invasive diagnostic tests, such as:
- Imaging tests.
- Breath testing.
- Blood work.
We also use endoscopic tests to diagnose and treat digestive disorders when other imaging tests aren't appropriate.
An endoscope is a flexible tube with a light and camera, inserted into either your mouth or anus. It allows our consultants to find, examine, and treat any problems.
Endoscopic tests at UPMC include:
- Colonoscopy: checks the inside of your colon and large intestine.
- OGD (oesophageal gastroduodenoscopy): checks your oesophagus, stomach, and top of your small intestine.
- Sigmoidoscopy: looks at the lower part of the colon.
- Proctoscopy: checks the rectum and sigmoid (lower part) of the colon.
- Microcam capsule endoscopy: takes pictures of your GI tract with a capsule you swallow.
- ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography): tests the ducts in your liver, gallbladder, and pancreas.
- Breath testing: identifies small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
Gastroenterology care that sets us apart
Our experts treat digestive diseases and conditions, such as:
- Colon and rectal cancer screening, surveillance, and polyp removal.
- Motility and transit studies for the upper and lower GI tract.
- Genetic tests for coeliac disease.
- Oesophogeal, colon, or biliary stents.
- Argon plasma coagulation to treat bleeding or shrink tumours.
- ERCP treatment to clear blocks in your pancreas or bile duct.
Direct Access Endoscopy at UPMC Aut Even Hospital, UPMC Whitfield Hospital and UPMC Kildare Hospital
- Upper GI scope
Our team of consultants has expert knowledge and training in gastroenterology, colorectal surgery, and general surgery.
For those who qualify, this service provides direct access to testing without having to first attend an appointment in a consultant's room.
To refer a patient directly to UPMC Aut Even Hospital, UPMC Whitfield Hospital or UPMC Kildare Hospital, use the HealthLink platform.
Referral criteria for direct access endoscopy include the following:
- Stomach pain.
- Ulcers, gastritis, or trouble swallowing.
- Digestive tract bleeding.
- Changes in bowel habits (chronic constipation or diarrhoea).
- Iron deficiency anaemia.
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Polyps or growths in the colon.
Why Choose UPMC for Digestive Health?
We offer high quality, comprehensive treatment close to home. There are many other reasons to choose Gastroenterology services at UPMC, such as the caring, professional service that our team of consultants and nursing staff provides.
Additionally, we are long term partners of the HSE (Health Service Executive) and private insurers and work diligently to ensure everyone has access to high-quality healthcare, delivered in a timely fashion.