Prof. Simon Cross
- UPMC Whitfield Hospital
MD, M.Med.Sci., FRCSI(Gen), FRCS(Ed)Professional Profile
1981: Graduate of Medical School of Trinity College, Dublin.
1986: Completed Western Basic Surgical Training Scheme (Galway) with the following degrees and Diplomas: Master of Medical Science NUI, FRCSI, FRCS(Ed)
1988: Completed International Research Fellowship, Duke University Medical Center, North Carolina, USA.
1991: Completed Middle Grade Registrar Training, Guy’s Hospital London & St. James’ Hospital, Dublin.
1991: Doctorate in Medicine (MD): “Vein Graft Vasomotor Contractility”
1994: Intercollegiate Examination in General Surgery with declared Special Interest in Vascular Surgery
1995: Completion of National Senior Registrar Training Programme in General Surgery (rotating through St. Vincent’s Hospital, Meath & Adelaide Hospitals, Mater Hospital & Beaumont Hospital).
1995: Appointment as Consultant Vascular Surgeon & Honorary Senior Lecturer to Aberdeen University and Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.
2001: Appointment as Consultant General & Vascular Surgeon, Waterford Regional Hospital.
2004: Appointment as Senior Lecturer in Surgery, Medical School, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland.
2012: Appointment as Honorary Associate Professor of Clinical Surgery, Medical School, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland.
Professor Cross has clinical expertise in the following areas:
- Vascular surgery
- Carotid artery disease
- Aneurysmal disease (including endovascular treatment)
- Acute and critical ischaemia of the leg (open and endovascualar)
- Diabetic foot disease
- Varicose veins (managed by surgery, endoluminal thermal ablation – laser)
- Venous ulcer disease
- Deep vein occlusion/incompetence
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Hyperhydrosis (including thorascopic sympathectomy)
- Raynaud’s disease
- Renal access surgery
- Arteriovenous malformations
- General Surgery (including biliary surgery and hernia surgery, open and laparoscopic)
- Emergency Surgery Endoscopy